You must understand and accept that your feline thinks differently: empathizing with him will save you from frustration and problems. For your kitten, it’s the present moment that matters, so you’ll have to catch him red-handed to prevent him from doing something you don’t want him to do, like getting on the kitchen counter, so that you associate that action with a negative reaction from the owner. If you don’t do it right away, he’ll never understand.
- Immediate and consistent reaction : You must always act quickly and in the same way, that is, with the same energy, the same confidence and a strong tone of voice: NO! Thus, in the first phase of his life he will already begin to understand what is right or wrong.
- Punishment and strokes don’t work : When it comes to educating a kitten , this methodology will never work. They don’t know well the reason for the punishment and if you do, in addition to using violence which is never a solution, the animal will feel more wary and elusive with you. It is best to show your displeasure by making a loud noise or using a water spray, and to associate that little fright with the action taken. Everything must always come from love and not from aggressive acts or movements.
- Another recommendation on how to educate a cat is to make sure it doesn’t scratch or bite: For him it is a distraction and a fascinating game because it is part of his natural instinct and his biology, to catch prey to feed himself. The problem is that in this case the victim would be you. The kitten may not realize the damage it can do to you, and you will need to guide him to make him understand that it is wrong. First, because the kitten is small, you shouldn’t encourage him to bite or scratch with excessive stimulation. When he bites or scratches you, you can make a whining sound, get up and walk away, so stop playing and the cat will more easily relate your rejection to that behavior. Use interactive cat toys that you don’t get to scratch yourself in, such as a stick with feathers or other items that are ideal for teaching your cat to play.
- Educating with positive reinforcement : This method is very effective, especially in the case of kittens. It consists in rewarding the feline with food, caresses or sweet words in which the cat perceives a vibratory sound of peace. Being a pleasant thing for him, he will remember it as a positive experience.
- The next step in a cat ‘s education is to realize that constant mental stimulation is a benefit to him. This involves spending more time playing with your cat and mentally stimulating him with intelligence games to encourage him to think and to pique his interest. Some of these games are those that release food, or others that contain moving balls to increase interaction and interest, highly recommendable and beneficial for its development.
- Another important factor in helping the kitten grow healthy and strong is her nutrition. Your kitten should be fed a specific nutrition program based on their age and needs, The Natural Trainer range of products and its exclusive ” baby care program ” This diet with specific ingredients of natural origin gives the kitten everything it needs to grow in a balanced and healthy way.
In conclusion, cats learn through experience, so it is necessary that they learn with pleasant experiences whenever they behave the way you think is right and instead associate unpleasant experiences with bad behavior.